The IEA say 14 cabinet members are linked to them.
A secretively-funded think tank called the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) is celebrating after 14 Tories associated with it were appointed to the cabinet.
In an email to supporters, the IEA said “Boris Johnson appointed possibly the most liberal, free-market oriented cabinet since the days of Margaret Thatcher.”
In its email to supporters, it said that 14 of the Tories who will now sit around the cabinet table are alumni of IEA initiatives.
These include the chancellor Sajid Javid, Home Secretary Priti Patel and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab.
- Robert Buckland, Justice Secretary
- Alun Cairns, Welsh Secretary
- James Cleverly, Party Chairman
- Matt Hancock, Health and Social Care Secretary
- Alister Jack, Scottish Secretary
- Andrea Leadsom, Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Secretary
- Brandon Lewis, Minister of State for the Home Office
- Kwasi Kwarteng, Minister of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Jacob Rees-Mogg, Leader of the House of Commons
- Julian Smith, Northern Ireland Secretary
- Liz Truss, International Trade Secretary
As you’re here, we have something to ask you. What we do here to deliver real news is more important than ever. But there’s a problem: we need readers like you to chip in to help us survive. We deliver progressive, independent media, that challenges the right’s hateful rhetoric. Together we can find the stories that get lost.
We’re not bankrolled by billionaire donors, but rely on readers chipping in whatever they can afford to protect our independence. What we do isn’t free, and we run on a shoestring. Can you help by chipping in as little as £1 a week to help us survive? Whatever you can donate, we’re so grateful - and we will ensure your money goes as far as possible to deliver hard-hitting news.