Left Foot Forward is the home of political news and comment for UK progressives.
As a leading political outlet, we provide hard-hitting evidence-based analysis of British politics, policy, and current affairs. We welcome ideas, story tip offs, and pitches for comment pieces from campaigners, politicians and civil society.
We particularly seek topical pitches that respond or draw on stories in the news, at time of submission. Articles are between 500-750 words. Note: Please do not send full articles – we discuss article ideas/stories in advance.
There are five things that we are looking out for:
- Exclusive news stories and story tips: We take pitches for original news stories, interviews and features from freelance journalists, as well as news tips from members of the public. Have you seen evidence of wrongdoing from a politician, public sector body, business or campaigner? Have you uncovered something concerning that needs airing? Get in touch.
- A fresh insight or angle you can provide on UK politics or current affairs. Did a politician flip flop on a position, misuse data or lie? Does a new report or government document misuse statistics? Did you hear about an administrative failure in a department or council? Send us your idea for a piece.
- Debate on the British left. As a pluralistic outlet we welcome contributions from party activists across the left, about what is going on within parties. We provide a space to air these debates in a constructive way.
- Unbalanced or biased media coverage or misleading reports. Did you read a story that was badly reported? What about a leader or op ed that was badly researched? Was some data misconstrued? Did a broadcaster give a politician an easy ride?
- Interesting new data, analysis, or causes that are otherwise unreported. Has a UK think tank, trade union, NGO or campaigning group done new work or revealed research that other outlets have missed? Is there an international project or policy that the UK could learn from?
Left Foot Forward is also now taking pitches for regular column ideas, on a trial basis. Are you an expert on health, climate, the economy, or social policy? We want to hear from you.
Please make sure ‘Pitch:‘ is in your subject header.
We particularly encourage pitches from writers of colour, frontline/key workers and those from under-represented groups.
Make sure to read other content on the site for a steer on our style before submitting ideas, and sign up to our weekday mailout so you know the themes we are looking into.
Left Foot Forward is a member of IMPRESS and articles should comply with their Standards Code.
Get in touch! Email [email protected] with your ideas.