A brief recap some of the bile and hatred Hopkins has spouted that show she is totally discredited as a 'journalist'.
Yesterday Katie Hopkins stood down as a columnist for the Mail Online, the website of the Daily Mail. The website said that Hopkins’ had left the publication “by mutual consent” and her contract wouldn’t be renewed.
The highly inflammatory professional troll and ‘commentator’ was fired from LBC in the summer after calling for a ‘final solution’ after the Manchester arena bombing – Left Foot Forward campaigned at the time for a boycott of the broadcaster until she was dismissed.
Although the Mail claims the decision for Hopkins to leave was ‘mutual’, the publication should have fired her years ago.
Here’s a brief recap of some of the offensive things she’s said over the past ten years that any respectable outlet should have dismissed her for:
- The ‘final solution’ tweet (since deleted) in response to the Manchester Arena bombing in May – “22 dead – number rising… we need a final solution. #Manchester”.
- Her Sun column in 2015 (since deleted) titled ‘Rescue boats? I’d use gunships to stop migrants’ – the piece contained the lines: ‘Make no mistake, these migrants are like cockroaches’ and ‘bring on the gunships, force migrants back to their shores and burn the boats.’
- When she tweeted about drowned Syrian child Alan Kurdi’s father – “‘Lectured on caring for migrants by a man who left his wife and child at the bottom of the Med? No thank you Mr Kurdi.”
- Just being blatantly racist on Twitter. Responding to the Netflix series Dear White People she tweeted – “Dear black people. If your lives matter why do you stab and shoot each other so much.”
- More comments on Islam on Twitter — “Ramadan typically brings a spike in violence in Middle East. I get grumpy when I don’t eat – but I don’t blow things up. Religion of peace?”
The fact that the British press were prepared to continue publishing Hopkins after these comments were made speaks volumes.
She’s gone from the Mail – but how long until another rag, craving attention and controversy, hires her?
As you’re here, we have something to ask you. What we do here to deliver real news is more important than ever. But there’s a problem: we need readers like you to chip in to help us survive. We deliver progressive, independent media, that challenges the right’s hateful rhetoric. Together we can find the stories that get lost.
We’re not bankrolled by billionaire donors, but rely on readers chipping in whatever they can afford to protect our independence. What we do isn’t free, and we run on a shoestring. Can you help by chipping in as little as £1 a week to help us survive? Whatever you can donate, we’re so grateful - and we will ensure your money goes as far as possible to deliver hard-hitting news.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.