From the RMT to Unite, and from the CWU to Unison - trade unions are gearing up for an intensification of strike action
From rail workers to posties, workers across the country and in a range of sectors are taking industrial action in the coming weeks and months in a number of ongoing disputes over pay, conditions and jobs.
Here’s a list of all the upcoming strike dates, along with details of where picket lines will be so you can show your solidarity with the striking workers.
When are ASLEF members going on strike?
ASLEF members at 15 rail companies will be on strike on 5 January 2023 in an ongoing dispute over pay. This is the latest in a series of walkouts that have taken place since the summer of 2022.
ASLEF represents train drivers on the railways.
When are RMT members going on strike?
RMT members have been engaged in a protracted dispute with Network Rail and the train operators for several months. Since June 2022, over 40,000 RMT members have taken industrial action on a number of days across the country.
The RMT has announced two 48-hour strikes in January 2023 – on the 3rd and 4th and on the 6th and 7th.
In addition, outsourced cleaners on the railways represented by RMT have been in dispute with their employers and have taken a number of days of strike action.
When are TSSA members going on strike?
The TSSA represents administrative, managerial, professional and technical workers on the railways.
TSSA members at Network Rail, Avanti West Coast, c2c, CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, Great Western Railway, LNER, Southeastern, West Midlands Trains have been been taking industrial action since summer 2022. TSSA members took strike action at a number of rail companies over the Christmas period.
Additionally, TSSA members working on the Elizabeth Line are on strike on 12 January and will be taking action short of a strike from 12 January to 28 February.
When are CWU members going on strike?
The CWU represents workers in the communications sectors.
Around 115,000 CWU members at Royal Mail have taken more than a dozen days of strike action since summer 2022. It is expected that more strike dates will be announced in the coming weeks.
CWU members at BT and Openreach were engaged in a protracted dispute with their employers, which ended when members accepted a £3,000 total flat-rate pay rise from 1 January 2023.
Since May 2022, CWU members at the Post Office have taken strike action on a number of dates throughout the year. The CWU is currently in the process of balloting its members for a renewed mandate for further strike action.
When are Unite members going on strike?
Unite is a general private sector union which has recently won major pay awards from employers as a result of industrial action. Its members in a range of different workplaces are set to go on strike in the coming weeks.
- 170 Unite members at Petrofac Repsol Installations took strike action in a long-running dispute over pay on 30 and 31 December 2022.
- Around 1,000 Unite members at the Welsh Ambulance Service will be taking strike action in 2023. Strike dates are yet to be announced.
- Over several months, Unite members at Coop Funeralcare have been engaged in a protracted dispute over pay. Workers walked out most recently from 19-23 December 2022.
- Bus drivers employed by Abellio in South and West London have been involved in a lengthy dispute over pay. The workers are set to take further strike action on 4, 5, 10, 12 16, 19, 25 and 26 January 2023.
- Workers at Greene King represented by Unite have been involved in an ongoing dispute over pay. Workers most recently walked out between 28 December and 31 December 2022.
- Over 140 Unite members at rail firm Abellio East Midlands have been engaged in industrial action in a pay dispute. The most recent walkouts were on 23-24 December 2022.
- Over 200 Unite members employed by Biffa to deliver refuse services in the Wirral are engaged in an ongoing dispute over pay. The workers are set to take strike action from 3 January 2023 to 7 January 2023 and from 16 January 2023 to 21 January 2023.
- Over 400 workers employed by Menzies as ground handlers at Heathrow airport have been involved in a long-running dispute over pay. The workers are next set to walk out from 29 December 2022 to 1 January 2023.
- Nearly 200 workers employed by outsourcing giant Veolia to deliver refuse services in Merseyside are involved in a dispute over pay. The workers are set to go on strike on 2 January 2023, 7 January 2023, 15 January 2023 and 21 January 2023.
When are UNISON members going on strike?
Unison is a general union for workers in public services – including those that have been outsourced. Its members at a number of different employers will be taking strike action in the coming weeks.
- UNISON members who work in ambulance services are involved in a long-running dispute over pay. After initial strike dates in 2022, UNISON members are set to walk out on 11 January 2023 and 23 January 2023.
When are GMB members going on strike?
GMB is a general union that represents workers in a range of sectors – including in local government. Its members are engaged in a number of disputes at present.
- Nearly 300 Mersey Care workers – including nurses and healthcare assistants – are engaged in a dispute over pay. The most recent walkout took place on 28 December 2022.
- GMB members employed by Stagecoach Sunderland have been in a dispute over pay. The most recent strike dates were from 23-27 December 2022.
- Over 10,000 ambulance workers at nine NHS trusts in England and Wales represented by GMB have been involved in the wider disputes in relation to pay. GMB members walked out on 21 December and 28 December 2022.
- More than 200 workers at Newcastle energy firm Baker Hughes have been involved in an industrial dispute over pay. Strike dates are currently set for 12-18 January 2023.
- Almost 100 Durham chemical workers are set to go on strike on 4 January 2023 as part of an ongoing dispute over pay.
When are UCU members going on strike?
UCU represents academic staff at universities and colleges.
Following strike action in November 2022, UCU members in higher education are currently taking action short of a strike indefinitely. New strike dates are likely to be announced in 2023.
When are NEU members going on strike?
Education workers represented by the the National Education Union (NEU) do not currently have a mandate for strike action. However, the union is currently holding a national ballot for strike action in England and Wales. The ballot will close on 13 January 2023.
When are RCN members going on strike?
The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) took its first ever national strike action in England and Wales in December 2022 in a dispute over pay. The RCN is set to take further strike action on 18 and 19 January 2023.
When are PCS members going on strike?
PCS represents civil servants. Over the coming weeks, workers are set to go on strike at a number of different workplaces.
- Road traffic officers and control room operators in South West England and the West Midlands. have been involved in an ongoing dispute alongside many other public sector workers across the country. Workers will take strike action on 3 and 4 January 2023.
- DVLA workers are currently in an ongoing dispute with their employers across the country. Some DVLA workers in Swansea will be taking strike action from 9-13 January 2023.
- Border Force staff have been on strike in December, with further strike dates likely to be announced soon.
- Staff at the Courts and Tribunal Service have been engaged in a long-running dispute. PCS members are set to strike from 7-14 January 2023.
- PCS members at the Department of Work and Pensions are set to take strike action from 3-7 January 2023.
- Over 400 PCS members employed by the Rural Payments Agency will be on strike from 3-6 January 2023 and from 9-13 January.
When are FBU members going on strike?
The Fire Brigades Union (FBU) does not currently have a strike mandate. However, the union is currently balloting its members for strike action in a national pay dispute. The ballot will close on 30 January 2023.
When are NASUWT members going on strike?
The NASUWT represents teachers. It currently does not have a mandate for strike action. However, it the union is currently balloting its members for strike action in a dispute over pay. The ballot will close on 9 January 2023.
When are NUJ members going on strike?
The National Union of Journalists (NUJ) represents journalists and people who work in publishing.
NUJ members at Scottish broadcaster STV have voted for strike action in a dispute over pay. Strike dates will be announced if a meeting with management on 9 January 2023 fails to resolve the dispute.
When are BMA members going on strike?
The British Medical Association (BMA) is the trade union for doctors. The union currently does not have a strike mandate, but is currently balloting its members in a single national ballot of all junior doctors. The ballot will close on 9 January 2023.
Have we missed a strike date? Do you have details of picket lines? Let us know on Twitter at @leftfootfwd
Chris Jarvis is head of strategy and development at Left Foot Forward
As you’re here, we have something to ask you. What we do here to deliver real news is more important than ever. But there’s a problem: we need readers like you to chip in to help us survive. We deliver progressive, independent media, that challenges the right’s hateful rhetoric. Together we can find the stories that get lost.
We’re not bankrolled by billionaire donors, but rely on readers chipping in whatever they can afford to protect our independence. What we do isn’t free, and we run on a shoestring. Can you help by chipping in as little as £1 a week to help us survive? Whatever you can donate, we’re so grateful - and we will ensure your money goes as far as possible to deliver hard-hitting news.