Alex Hern shows quite how expensive Osborne's skiing holiday was.
Ed Miliband flubbed a line today at PMQs, accusing Cameron of attacking strikers, such as cleaners or dinner ladies, who
“earn in a week what the chancellor pays for his annual skiing holiday”
Unless the chancellor is going on budget student ski trips, it seems unlikely that his skiing holiday costs just £231. And indeed, it seems he spent rather more than that.
As the Mail reported in January:
Osborne has been staying with wife Frances and their two children at the Swiss resort which is regarded as a ‘winter playground for the rich and famous’.
It would normally cost around £11,000 for a similar family holiday at the resort.
For reference, the minimum wage for a 21 year old working a 35 hour week with four weeks holiday and ten bank holidays is £9830.40.
Osborne’s clearly taking the piste.
Watch a video of the exchange below:
Like this article? Sign up to Left Foot Forward's weekday email for the latest progressive news and comment - and support campaigning journalism by becoming a Left Foot Forward Supporter today.
• As energy company buckles, Miliband needs to pick more battles – Alex Hern, October 12th 2011
• Fees, cuts… Is this what Cameron means by “giving young people back their future”? – Shamik Das, September 14th 2011
• Cameron’s fantasy list of NHS reform backers – Shamik Das, September 7th 2011
• Spineless Cameron fails to speak out against Brooks, Coulson or BSkyB deal – Shamik Das, July 6th 2011
• PMQs cancer row: MacMillan back Miliband – Shamik Das, June 15th 2011