Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader

More than half the public want George Osborne removed as chancellor, a poll yesterday revealed, while just 2% of Tories want him as their next leader.

E-mail-sign-up Donate

 

.

More than half the public want George Osborne removed as chancellor, a poll yesterday revealed – while just one in 50 Tory members want him to succeed David Cameron as Conservative Party leader.

George-Osborne-corpseThe latest Sunday Times/YouGov poll (pdf) shows:

Just 25% think the government is handling the economy well – the lowest figure YouGov have yet recorded; and

• Only 19% now think Osborne should remain chancellor – as many as 52% want Cameron to replace him – with more than one in four Conservative voters holding this view.

As significantly, the poll further finds:

45% now think ‘the government should change its strategy to concentrate on growth, even if this means the deficit stays longer or gets worse’; and

Just 28% want ‘the government to stick to its current strategy of reducing the deficit, even if this means growth remains slow’;

• The 17-point lead for Plan B over Plan A is the largest YouGov have ever found.

Meanwhile, a survey of Tory members for ConservativeHome shows 0% want Osborne to lead the Tories into the next election – with just 2% wanting him to succeed David Cameron – well behind Boris Johnson, on 32%, and also behind William Hague (24%), Michael Gove (19%), David Davis (12%), Philip Hammond (7%) and Liam Fox (3%). Only omnishambolic home secretary Theresa May is as unpopular.

 


See also:

CPAG: Osborne’s £3bn tax credit cuts “may have deepened the recession” 25 Jul 2012

Bad news for Osborne, as polls show majority of people want a new chancellor 23 Jul 2012

Further poll blow for Cameron as Labour take biggest lead for five years 18 Jul 2012

The left shouldn’t celebrate if Osborne is dropped, it could just benefit the Tories 17 Jul 2012

Poll: Cameron seen as out of touch, out of ideas, weak, indecisive and dislikeable 16 Jul 2012


 

It’s not competely dire for Cameron and Osborne, however, with the YouGov poll still placing them ahead of Ed Miliband and Ed Balls on whom people trust more to run the economy – just – by 34% to 31%, a gap considerably narrower than at the time of the budget.

 


Sign-up to our weekly email • Donate to Left Foot Forward

46 Responses to “Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader”

  1. Michael Coe

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  2. Michael Coe

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  3. Susan Thorne

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  4. Shamik Das

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  5. Owen Williams

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  6. Alex Marshall

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  7. Mahmoona Shah

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  8. David Gillon

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  9. Political Planet

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: More than half the publi… http://t.co/TycXOmsZ

  10. Paul Trembath

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  11. Rupert

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  12. Lindsey German

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  13. DJE

    "@leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/feVnlQEE not good 4 him

  14. Peter

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  15. Alex Braithwaite

    RT @leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/5wNKcvY6

  16. Andy McGill

    “@leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/JWRgL3yF <George OUT!>

  17. Ash Wignall

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  18. Julian Rowley

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  19. Dan McGrady

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  20. jamie walker

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  21. Wayne Smith

    RT @leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/SDFz1s4Y

  22. Siouxsie

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  23. George Irvin

    RT @leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/sbgA97OJ

  24. Brian Tomkinson

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  25. Lesley Collins

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  26. patrick barwise

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader – http://t.co/xsUAYFeU

  27. liane gomersall

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/mgVtHk3r

  28. Lucy Brown

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/mgVtHk3r

  29. Ben Stock

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  30. Matt Passman

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  31. sean

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/mgVtHk3r

  32. Face

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  33. Kyle Gordon

    RT @leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/4R0nYrlW #osborne

  34. James Roaming

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  35. Sir Deffo

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  36. Stuart Rodger

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader: http://t.co/njiTg3kC by @ShamikDas

  37. George Gosling

    52% of people believe I should be put down http://t.co/IvCfjsPu The other 48% wish to prolong my torture #helpme

  38. The Tories are struggling with vagueness of policy | Left Foot Forward

    […] See also: • Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader 30 Jul […]

  39. Kevin Richards

    Billy no mates RT @leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/6APETO90

  40. Sky Pendle

    RT @leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/rbTn4FuG

  41. mrcbrw

    RT @leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/rbTn4FuG

  42. Dev Raval

    RT @leftfootfwd: Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/rbTn4FuG

  43. Bob Ellard

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/bRwoDMUK

  44. Lynn

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/bRwoDMUK

  45. Ian Spain

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/bRwoDMUK

  46. Gavin H

    Double blow for Osborne: 52% want him sacked, and just 2% of Tories want him as leader http://t.co/bRwoDMUK

Leave a Reply