Even GPs who are implementing the NHS reforms oppose them - it’s time to drop the legislation and strangle the disastrous health and social care bill.
We are used to David Cameron insisting in the House of Commons, even if bodies that represent NHS professionals such as the CPHVA, RCGP, CSP, UNISON, UNITE, GMB, RCM, RCN, BMA, RCP, RCR, MiP, COT, IHSM and the Faculty of Public Health oppose the health and social care bill, health workers are backing the changes.
His evidence for this is the roll out of GP-led clinical commissioning groups (CCG) across the country, designed to facilitate the external marketisation of the NHS.
He has insisted time and again at Prime Minister’s Questions:
” There are thousands of GPs throughout the country who are not just supporting our reforms, but actually implementing our reforms…
Except the chair of a flagship CCG has come out in opposition.
Tower Hamlets CCG in east London, led by former BMA deputy chair Dr Sam Everington, has written to David Cameron asking him to abandon the bill following a wave of opposition from local GPs, and warning him “your rolling restructuring of the NHS compromises our ability to focus on what really counts”.
In a letter obtained by Pulse, the CCG claims the strides already made to improving patient care through clinically-led commissioning show that improvements could be made “without the bureaucracy generated by the bill”.
When even those you tout as great supporters of the bill come out in opposition, it’s time to drop the legislation.
Like this article? Sign up to Left Foot Forward's weekday email for the latest progressive news and comment - and support campaigning journalism by making a donation today.
• Clegg’s letter to Lib Dem MPs and peers is just furious spin concealing NHS privatisation – Daniel Elton, February 28th 2012
• Mandarins line up to attack health reform – Ed Jacobs, February 27th 2012
• Tory voters trust BMA and co. over Cameron and Lansley on the NHS – Neil Foster, February 20th 2012
• Jones pledges to listen to NHS staff as Cameron leaves them out in the cold – Ed Jacobs, February 20th 2012
• How the coalition is breaking the NHS – Alex Hern, February 15th 2012
Leave a Reply