Reform UK suspends councillor again ahead of court case over ‘grossly offensive’ post about the Nigerian community
Reform has distanced itself from the councillor pending the outcome of the court case
Reform UK has suspended one of its councillors for a second time, pending the outcome of a court case.
At the end of last month, Glenn Gibbins, a Reform councillor on Sunderland City Council, was charged over a Facebook post from 2024 in which he made a “grossly offensive” comment about the Nigerian community in Sunderland.
Gibbins is scheduled to appear at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court today, Friday 21 August.
As reported by the BBC, a Reform spokesperson said Gibbins had been suspended from Reform UK for a second time “pending the outcome of his case”.
Gibbins was first suspended from the party over the comment days after he was elected as a city councillor on 7 May.
In June, Gibbins was let back into the party with a final written warning.
Northumbria Police began an investigation into the post when it came to light in May.
After he was charged, Reform suspended him again and he is now listed on the Sunderland City Council website as an Independent.
Reform has not said when it suspended the councillor again, or the reason why.
Bridget Phillipson MP, Labour Party Chair, said: “The appalling allegations facing Glenn Gibbins will have shocked many members of the public. It’s utterly astonishing that Reform didn’t suspend this councillor when it first came to light.
“It shouldn’t have taken a police intervention for Nigel Farage to take action against him. Once again, it shows Farage and Reform are totally unfit for office.”
Olivia Barber is a reporter at Left Foot Forward
Left Foot Forward doesn't have the backing of big business or billionaires. We rely on the kind and generous support of ordinary people like you.
You can support hard-hitting journalism that holds the right to account, provides a forum for debate among progressives, and covers the stories the rest of the media ignore. Donate today.
Donate today