The British Medical Association has called for a return to the negotiating table to prevent further disruption of services
The Department of Health has today confirmed its unwillingness to return to talks with the British Medical Association (BMA) over its dispute with junior doctors, meaning that the all-out strike scheduled for 26 and 27 April will almost certainly go ahead.
Sources had told the BBC that the government would not change track on imposing the junior doctors contract, since the BMA ‘had blown its chance to negotiate’. In an official response to the report, the Department of Health reiterated that it had been given ‘no choice’ but to impose the contract.
— DH Media Centre (@DeptHealthPress) April 8, 2016
This week, as junior doctors undertook their fourth partial strike, the BMA expressed its willingness to return to negotiations.
Dr Johann Malawana, BMA junior doctor committee chair, said that future action is ‘wholly avoidable’ but insisted that ‘the government must get back around the negotiating table and end this dispute through talks.’
An all-out strike by junior doctors, including emergency staff, is planned for the 26 and 27 of April. It will be the first of its kind in the history of the NHS.
Leave a Reply