BNP leader Nick Griffin was once more shown up for the coward he is by the BBC last night, reports Left Foot Forward’s Shamik Das.
BNP leader Nick Griffin was once more shown up for the coward he is by the BBC last night.
Having arranged in advance to be interviewed by the BBC Panorama investigation into fraud and financial mismanagement at the BNP, he read out a statement, was cheered on by an audience, snuck out the building and then had his jackbooted bully boys eject the BBC team.
The main claims made in last night’s programme are:
• The BNP has submitted fraudulent accounts to its auditors and the Electoral Commission;
• The BNP has used European Union money to fund its party organisation;
• Nick Griffin has hidden large donors from the electoral commission and had a slush fund that the party treasurer has no access to;
• BNP officials allegedly held a party worker against her wishes in a locked van after she refused to comply with their instructions; and
• The BNP lied to the Electoral Commission to justify why it had submitted late returns.
“We believe that these claims deserve serious investigation by the Electoral Commission. Please join us by writing to Peter Wardle, chief executive of the Electoral Commission.”
Thus far, nearly 3,000 people have contacted the commission asking for a full investigation.
These allegations should come as little surprise to regular readers; in March last year, we reported on the BNP European Parliament expenses swindle – in which Griffin and Andrew Brons failed to fully disclose their £500,000 expenses – while last January, we revealed the BNP were under investigation by the commission for failing to give a “true and fair” view of their financial circumstances.
As Darragh MacIntyre concluded on last night’s programme, with bailiffs calling at Griffin’s home:
“Will money, rather than racism, spell the end for Nick Griffin’s British National Party?”
Like this article? Sign up to Left Foot Forward's weekday email for the latest progressive news and comment - and support campaigning journalism by making a donation today.
• BNP’s Oldham candidate shows the party’s as racist as ever – Chris Tarquini, January 5th 2011
• BNP bloggers whip up anti-Muslim sentiment – Rosanna Singler, November 22nd 2010
• BNP candidate charged with assault as Griffin faces oblivion – Shamik Das, May 14th 2010
• “Real voters” on BNP leaflets are all candidates – Shamik Das, April 29th 2010
• BBC deny Griffin’s “lynch mob” stitch-up claims – Shamik Das, October 23rd 2009
Leave a Reply